It’s probably safe to say that just about everyone would love to have a beautiful smile. Of course, few of us have celebrity-perfect teeth, but even those of us who are dentally challenged can enjoy a more attractive smile in just a single trip to the dentist’s office thanks to professional teeth whitening. This cosmetic procedure is not only the fastest way to improve virtually anyone’s smile; it’s also one of the least expensive. Of course, that’s not to say that having your teeth whitened won’t cost some money. But compared to other cosmetic procedures, whitening is definitely more affordable. And while it may be tempting to try an over-the-counter whitening product, there are several advantages of professional teeth whitening that should convince you to rely on your dentist rather than any OTC product. What follows are some of the many benefits of professional teeth whitening.
- Stunning, dramatic results: The most obvious benefit of professional whitening services will become immediately apparent when you look in the mirror after your dental appointment. The results of professional whitening simply can’t compare to over-the-counter products. Many patients see their teeth 6, 7 or even 8 shades lighter after a single trip to the dentist. There’s no doubt about it – professional whitening far outperforms any OTC product available when it comes to creating a whiter smile.
- Affordability: As we mentioned earlier, professional teeth whitening services are one of the least – if not the very least – expensive of all cosmetic dental procedures. Having said that, you should still expect to pay a few hundred dollars for the single trip to your dentist’s office. While that may sound expensive, consider the fact that most people will spend nearly the same amount every year for over-the-counter products that you need to use repeatedly over the course of 12 months. And even after repeated use, OTC products won’t produce nearly the results of one professional whitening service provided by your dentist.
- More thorough whitening: The vast majority of over-the-counter whitening products won’t provide the kind of thorough whitening that comes with professional whitening services. That’s because OTC products usually consist of strips that you apply to teeth, or in some instances an applicator that you use on your front teeth or a generic, one-size-fits-all tray. But when you have your teeth professionally whitened, your dentist ensures that the whitening gel comes in contact with every tooth surface. That means that all your teeth are whitened instead of just a few.
- Fast results: Because the strength of the bleaching agent used in professional whitening products is so much stronger than over-the-counter products, it means that you’ll see remarkable results in a single trip to the dentist’s office. While the exact length of your whitening appointment will vary depending on what whitening system is used, most patients will be in and out of the dentist’s office in an hour. That means that you will enjoy an incredibly whiter smile in just 60 minutes! Compare this with the amount of time needed for OTC products (which typically require 30 minutes a day for 14 days, depending on the brand used), and you can understand how the fast results is one of the biggest advantages of professional whitening.
- Customization: When you have your teeth professionally whitened by your dentist, you are able to choose the exact amount of whiteness you’d like for your teeth. Better still, your dentist can focus additional whitening efforts on certain teeth that are especially stained. OTC products, obviously, don’t offer that luxury.
- Safety: Whether you use an over-the-counter product or have your teeth professionally whitened, all bleaching agents create a certain amount of sensitivity to your teeth and the soft tissue inside your mouth. Thankfully, that discomfort only lasts for a short time, but that doesn’t make it any less painful. When your dentist performs the whitening procedure, he or she protects your gums and other portions of your mouth from the effects of the bleaching agent, making sure that the whitening product only comes into contact with the surface of your teeth. This minimizes discomfort to the soft tissue. In addition, your dentist can monitor how you’re feeling throughout the process, adjusting the amount of bleaching agent used whenever necessary to ensure that you remain as comfortable as possible throughout.
- Improved oral health: Studies show that people who are happy with their smiles are more likely to engage in improved oral hygiene habits, taking greater care to brush and floss regularly in addition to other steps that improve their overall oral health. And better oral health is directly related to better overall health.
- How you view the world and how the world views you: In addition to the obvious advantages of whitening your teeth, there are other more subtle benefits that you may not even be aware of. In numerous studies conducted over the past several years, researchers have found that people with more attractive smiles generally felt better about themselves, experiencing more self-esteem and a higher degree of self-confidence than those with less attractive smiles. And the same held true with how other people viewed men and women with nice smiles. If you have a whiter, healthier-looking smile, you are more likely to be seen in a positive light by others. Research found that an attractive smile makes people appear to be more competent, trustworthy, and dependable than those without such an attribute. This translates into more positive social interactions and even enhanced job and professional opportunities.
When you imagine yourself with a whiter smile, you may not immediately think of all the benefits we’ve listed here. But you can rest assured that you’ll enjoy all these advantages and more once you improve the appearance of your smile with professional teeth whitening. And while it may be tempting to try one of the many over-the-counter products available online and in your local stores, those won’t come close to the results you’ll see in just a single trip to your dentist’s office. To learn more about the advantages of professional teeth whitening, and to find out whether or not you are a good candidate for this cosmetic procedure, contact your dentist’s office and schedule an appointment today.