Having and maintaining a beautiful smile isn’t just an exercise in vanity. In fact, studies conducted over the past few years have shown that there are many benefits to having a nice smile. What follows are some of those advantages.
- It makes you feel more positive about yourself and the world in general. Researchers have found that people with unattractive smiles don’t smile as much, and that changes the way they view themselves and the world around them. People with attractive smiles who smile more often are more likely to experience an elevated mood and to look at the world in a more positive light overall.
- It improves your overall health. Not only does smiling more change your view of the world in a positive way; studies also indicate that people who smile often lead longer and healthier lives overall than those who don’t. When you think about it, this makes total sense. Attractive smiles don’t just happen – people have to work at it by brushing and flossing on a regular basis. And having good oral health is closely tied to overall health.
- It gives you more self-confidence. Studies show that people with nice smiles feel more self-assured and confident than those who don’t. This holds true in a wide variety of both personal and professional situations.
- It improves the way others see you. A nice smile not only makes you feel better about yourself; it also improves the way other people see you. Research shows that people who smile more give a better first impression to other people and are generally seen as more trustworthy than those who don’t smile. This may be why studies show that people who smile a lot are more likely to end up with better benefits and higher pay than their frowning coworkers.
- It improves the moods of people around you. You know the old adage, “Smile and the world smiles with you” – as it turns out, there’s a lot of truth in that! The old myth about smiling being contagious isn’t a myth after all. Other people really are more likely to smile back at you if you smile at them.
If you’re not particularly happy about the appearance of your smile, call your dentist today and schedule an appointment. Thanks to modern dental technology and cosmetic dental procedures – such as teeth whitening and smile makeovers, to name just two – virtually anyone can have a more attractive smile!