Countless studies conducted over the past few years have found that oral health is closely linked to overall health, so if you want your children to live long, healthy lives (and what parent doesn’t?), one of the most important contributions you can make to your children’s future is providing them with everything they need to enjoy good oral health. And one of the best ways to do that is to take your kids to the dentist beginning at an early age, so they’ll feel comfortable in continuing those visits throughout their lifetimes. Of course, choosing the right dentist is vital. Not every dental practice places a focus on pediatric dentistry, so you’ll want to find a dentist who understands the special needs of kids and how best to make them feel at ease during their dental visits. Here are a few tips for how to find the best kids’ dentist for your family.
- Find a dentist trained in pediatric dentistry. While it’s true that all dentists are trained in how to provide oral health care to their patients, pediatric dentists need to complete an additional two to three years of training beyond what a typical dentist would go through. The dentist you choose should be schooled in pediatric dentistry.
- Ask your friends and family for recommendations. Check with other parents you know and trust, and take their word for it with regard to their experiences with pediatric dentists. Word-of-mouth recommendations – assuming they come from people you know and trust – are the very best kind.
- Check out dental websites for the services the dentist provides. A good pediatric dentist will treat issues that are especially prominent in children – conditions such as tongue thrust, tongue ties, tooth decay from baby bottles, baby teeth eruption problems, etc.
- Call and visit the office before you take your children in. Talk to the front office staff on the phone, and explain that you’d like to come see the office prior to scheduling an appointment for your kids. The vast majority of dental offices will be more than willing to accommodate you.
- Check out the website of the American Board of Pediatric Dentistry at https://www.abpd.org/Content/Find-a-Certified-Pediatric-Dentist.aspx. There you’ll find a list of certified pediatric dentists in your area.
One of the best ways to help your children enjoy good oral health is by starting them off on the right foot. And that means finding a qualified pediatric dentist who will not only provide top notch dental services, but will also make your children feel comfortable and at ease during their dental visits.